GuestBook Script PHP Instructions and Help
How to install the GuestBook Script PHP?
Set up MySQL database
GuestBook Script PHP requires PHP 5.0 or higher version and MySQL 4.0 or higher version to run on your server - you can see the current version of PHP and MySQL in the control panel of your website.
Before starting the installation wizard of the script you will need to create a database for the script:
- Open the Control Panel(CPanel, Plesk or any other) of your hosting account.
- Find the Databases section, where you will create a MySQL database.
- Durring database creation you will need to supply a Database name, Database user and password. You will also need to know the database server name — usually 'localhost'. Save all these details on your local machine for future reference on something such as Notepad.
- If you use your hosting account's 'CPanel' to create your database you must set Privileges to ALL for the Database user.
- If you have problems with creating a database - ask your web hosting company - normally they provide 24h email, phone or chat free support. Also, you may send us an email request and we will create database and install the script on your website.
Unzip or unrar, upload and install GuestBook Script PHP
- Unzip the .zip file received from us. You can use programs such as Winzip, Winrar, or Stuffit Expander (Mac). They have all have trial versions.
- Next, upload all files to your website. You can either upload the complete folder (for example named "SCRIPTFOLDER") or you can upload all the files individually to a folder you created in the root directory of your website.
- Next step is to run the installation file:
* note that, you should replace "YOURDOMAIN" with your real domain name and "SCRIPTFOLDER" with the folder you created into the root of your website.
- On your screen will appear the Installation wizard and will ask you to complete the form below:
- This information is what you saved when creating your database:
- MySQL server name - usualy 'localhost'
- MySQL username - when you create a database you need to assign minimum one user
- MySQL password - this is the password of the user assigned to database
- Server path to script directory, Full URL to script directory, script directory name - they will appear automatically. You can change if they are different - usually on windows web server.
- Admin Username - this will be your username for the protected administrator area
- Admin Password - this will be your password for the protected administrator area
* note, that sometimes the servers does not send correct information about the version of MySQL and a message "Server version of MySQL is not ok!" might appear. The minimum requirements of MySQL for all of our scripts is version 4.0 and most of the commercial hosts are working with 5.0 or higher, so if you already created a MySQL database - go ahead and install the script.
- Click on 'Install Script' button and if all the database details are correct, you will see intermediate screen with message "Script successfully installed" and a link to the admin login form "Login here":
- Once you click on the link 'Login here', you will be redirect you to the administrator login form.
How to use GuestBook Script PHP?
Enter Admin username and password that you set earlier:
Once the login is successful, you will enter admin area -> Comments List(it will be empty after the initial install).
Here you can see the comment entries ordered by Date posted.
You have the option to order comments by Date posted, Name and Status. Also you can Preview, Edit, Reply and delete entries.
GuestBook Script PHP front-end. This is how the front-end look by default. You could change front-end visual(css) style and language in the script options. Also, there is a css file in the script directory /styles/css_front_end.php, so if you have css and html knowledge you could modify visual style directly in the file:
Submit Comment. To submit a comment visitor should click on "Write Your Comment" button. There is no need of registration or login for submitting comments:
Admin Options. You should set Administrator email, where all new comments notifications will be sent.
You can set the number of comments per page in the front-end.
'Type of the Captcha Verification Code' - choose between five captcha images or no captcha for the submit comment page. And if you shoose reCaptcha code, you are able to choose between four themes.
'Text confirmation code' - Check this option if you want to use text confirmation code and to be double sure that you will block the spambots. You could change the text confirmation code in Language options.
'Show number of comments' - choose whether to show or hide the sentence "23 visitors have signed our guestbook. You are next!".
'Set Default Time Zone' - if your hosting server is in located in different time zone, for example if you are located in Europe, but the server is in USA, then you could choose the correct time zone, so the comments date and time will be shown in the exact time zone.
'Smilies options' - here you could choose to show/hide smilies, show/hide more smilies, and show/hide the censored smilies in the more smilies.
Comments Options. Click in admin area -> Options menu -> sub-menu Comments Options and set the next options:
'Approval' - you can choose whether to approve comments before having them posted or automatically to be published.
'Comments order' - If you set 'New at the bottom', new comments will appear at the bottom of all comments. If you set 'New on top', new comment will appear on top of all comments.
'GuestBook form fields' - select the fields that your visitors should fill in on the GuestBook form.
'GuestBook form mandatory(required) fields' - select the fields that your visitors should fill mandatory in on the GuestBook form. The selected fields will be required.
'GuestBook show comment information' - select the commentor personal information that your visitors will see in the guestbook listing.
'Maximum number of characters in the comment area' - Set the limit of characters in the comment area that visitor will be able to fill in when submit a comment.
'Create a list with banned words' and 'Create a list with banned IP addresses' - Bann spammers by their IP address and their words in comments. The IP addresses and words must me comma separated(220.127.116.11, 321.321.321.321, 18.104.22.168, ...etc) (word1,word2,word3,…etc). The list of words are NOT case sensitive.
Visual Options. Here you can set unlimited combinations of visual style for the guestbook front-end and make it to look like a part of your webpage.
Language Options. As you may see in the image below, you may translate all the words in the script front-end in your own language. Also there is a file in the script package named "language_admin.php" where you can translate the admin area in your language.
Put on Webpage. You can choose one of two ways to put the guestbook on your website.
Copy the code go to your page and paste between <body>code</body> tags.
Also, if you don't find answer of your question, please refer our FAQ section
If the manual above is not clear enough, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org